Synergistic activities include exploratory or synthesis workshops, proposal review panels, organization of symposia, guest editing, or special sessions at conferences, and other activities that serve to advance research and education. The list below is for the past five years only.
Conference and workshop leadership
- Preparing Minnesota for Climate Change: A Conference on Climate Adaptation (planning committee), Nov. 7, 2013, University of Minnesota.
- RCN – SEES: Sustainable Cities – People and the Energy-Climate-Water Nexus(co-PI); first workshop held at YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park, CO, August 16-19, 2012.
- Twin Cities Urban Sustainability Forum (PI), symposium at the University of Minnesota, Nov. 2-3, 2011 (tcusforum.umn.edu).
- Urban Ecosystems and Human Well-Being: Integrating Social and Ecological Knowledge (PI), symposium held at the University of Minnesota. Jan. 25, 2010.
- Guest co-editor (with C. Kennedy, S. Dhaka, and A. Ramaswami), Special Issue on Urban Sustainability, Journal of Industrial Ecology (December 2012).
Invitational workshop projects
- Workshop on Water Equity and Resilience in Southern Africa, Stellenbosch Institute for Advanced Studies, Stellenbosch, South Africa, August 24-26, 2016.
- NSF INFEWS Workshop on Food Systems, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Feb. 22-24, 2016.
- NSF Chemistry Division Workshop: P Sustainability Research. May 18-19, 2015, Washington, DC.
- RCN workshop on P Sustainability, May 18-22, 2015, Washington, D.C.
- RCN Workshop on Phosphorus Sustainability, January 6-10, 2014, Tempe, AZ.
- RCN Workshop on Urban Sustainability, April 2014, Tempe, AZ.
- Workshop on Human-Carbon Interactions in Urban Systems at NCAR in October 16-18, 2013, Boulder Colorado.
- Urban Climate Institute (RCN-SEES), first annual workshop held at the Science Museum of Minnesota, St. Paul, July 31-August 1, 2013.
- Regional Approaches to Urban Sustainability: A Focus on Portland, National Academy of Sciences and Portland State, held in Portland, OR, May 28-29, 2013.
- Coordinating Phosphorus Research to Create a Sustainable Food System (RCN-SEES), Year 1 workshop in Washington, DC, May 13-17, 2013.
- Urban Sustainability Research Coordination Network (RCN-SEES) – Fluxes and Flows workshop, Tempe, Arizona, March 14-15, 2013 and March 10-12, 2014.
- Greening of Cities – International Research Workshop, NSF-sponsored workshop held in Auckland, New Zealand, Dec. 10-13, 2012.
- Building Knowledge Bridges, Workshop with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency and University of Minnesota environmental scholars, August 27, 2012.
- Urban Futures Workshop, UNESCO, Paris, June 25-26, 2012.
- Panel on Human Dimension and Complex Urban Systems, Workshop on Sustainable Urban Systems, at the 2011 Int. Soc. Industrial Ecology Conference, Berkeley, June 6, 2011.
- Planning for Water (speaker and panelist), short course and national webinar, American Planning Assoc. 2011 National Planning Conference, Boston, April 11-12.
- Infrastructure Sustainability, Resilience, and Robustness, NSF Resilient and Sustainable Infrastructure Network (RESIN) Program) Workshop, Tucson, AZ, January 13-14, 2011.
- Water Circle Workshop, Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change (ICGC), University of Minnesota, Nov. 13-14, 2010.
- Urban Metabolism Workshop, MIT, January 12-13, 2010.